Every system is always very mature when its being considered for a change.
That is foundational and fundamental, nothing is ever redundant unless some form of innovation impacts the business.
Whenever innovation is bought in to the equation, the quality of innovation will determine the longevity or relevancy of any process.
This opens up a few set of recurring challenges…
- How to introduce change
- How to train resources in new process
- How to measure the change metrics
Planning to implement IoT/Automation will also find such challenges to be addressed at very early stage of engagement.
IoT, requires capital expense like in any other IT project, only this time its budget depends on the process lifecycle and scope of implementation.
For transportation and logistics industry, we are looking at the following as common scope of implementation for IoT/Automation
- Transportation Audit & Compliance Management
- Inventory Scanning and Item Authentication
- Ledger, Manifest Maintenance and Realtime change of hand tracking
- Shipment Breach identification and remedy on real-time
- Operation Research and Business Intelligence Development
- Consecutive Cost Mapping and Threat Identification
- Business Layer Integration with other processes and functions including Procurement, Supply Chain, Forecasting
- Equipment Lifecycle Management
- Score-carding, Performance KPI Management
- Risk identification and minimization
Naturally, the list can be longer and will become exhaustive if we kept looking at the entire scope of what all can be done using IoT for Transportation and Logistical Industry
As to how it gets implemented, the process is as follows:
- Process Mapping to Business Functions and Owners, including inventories
- Connecting to ERP/CRM and Logistical tracking systems to ensure data cross verification
- Implementation of QuicSolv propriety tags and sensors on defined environment that ensure all angle coverage
- Integration of feeds back to purpose designed dashboards
Nothings changes within the realm of business, only change that you will experience is in how efficient your business has become.
Read more about all this in How does warehousing benefit better from implementing IoT? and How does IoT Automation Reduce Costs?